Umdloti letting & Sales
4 Jabu Ngcobo drive
Data Protection Policy
Umdloti Letting & Sales offers holiday accommodation letting, long term residential property rentals as well as property sales.
Umdloti Letting & Sales acknowledges that our clients, suppliers and our employees care about how their personal information is used and shared. This policy describes the types of personal information that we may collect, the purposes for which we use the information, the circumstances in which we may share the information, and the steps that we take to safeguard the information and privacy of those persons and entities we deal with.
This policy stipulates Umdloti Letting & Sales commitment to ensuring that any personal data which Umdloti Letting & Sales processes, is carried out in compliance with The Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (or POPIA Act).
This policy applies to all personal data processed by Umdloti Letting & Sales and is part of Umdloti Letting & Sales approach to comply with data protection law. All Umdloti Letting & Sales employees are expected to comply with this policy and failure to comply may lead to disciplinary action for misconduct, or dismissal.
The information we collect may include, but is not limited to, the following:
Employees – Banking details, identity documents, personal contact details and salary details.
Clients – Banking details, identity documents, proof of address, personal contact number and email address.
Personal information about children
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children (under 18 years of age).
Method of data collection
We collect personal information directly from the client by way of face-to-face meetings, telephone conversations, emails.
What do we do with personal information collected from you?
Our small staff team has access to all client information provided to us and we use all personal information collected in order to provide services to our clients:
- Holiday letting – capturing guest’s details in order to make a booking and correspond with the guest prior/ during/ after the stay.
- Long term rental – Capturing clients details in order to do a background check for suitability to lease property
- Property sales – Client details are captured by conveyancing attorneys
If you apply for employment with us, we use the personal information you supply to process your job application and draw up the employee contracts. Only Umdloti Letting & Sales members and
MFS Management Financial Services CC, known as MFS, which provides accounting, tax and payroll advice and services to Umdloti Letting & Sales have access to this data.
Protection of the Company and others
With the consent of the relevant party, and other than as set out above, such party will receive notice when information about them might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How secure is the information held by us?
We maintain appropriate physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage, and disclosure of personally identifiable information.
Some of the physical safeguards implemented by Umdloti Letting & Sales include but are not limited to the following:
•All hard copies of information are kept in our locked and access-controlled premises, which have been fitted with burglar guards, gates and alarm systems;
- Only limited employees have keys to the office;
- Only management and members know the code to the alarm system;
- Our computer server cabinet is locked at all times and can only be accessed by the main member and the designated IT consultant;
- Our file archive room remains locked at all times on our premises, with only one employee having the key to access this room. A list of all information in archives is kept and constantly updated;
- We have a “clean desk” policy in place with all employees;
Some of the electronic safeguards implemented by Umdloti Letting & Sales include but are not limited to the following:
- Our server has multiple firewalls, as well as Windows Security Anti-virus software;
- Umdloti Letting & Sales makes use of Microsoft 365, which is only available for use in the office, thus no one has access to global email passwords and therefore emails cannot be accessed from any other devices;
- Each employee has their own username and password to access his/her computer and the company system;
- Only employees have the WIFI password.
- Backups of all our information are run daily and stored on external hard drives. Weekly offsite backups are also kept.
Umdloti Letting & Sales ensures that good data protection practice is imbedded in the culture of our employees and our organization. When an Umdloti Letting & Sales employee leaves, all physical and electronic access is terminated immediately, and their email addresses are deleted within one month.
Storage of data
We retain your personal data only for the period necessary for the purposes set out in this policy, or in accordance with the provisions of any applicable legislation.
Breach of Data
Should any breach of personal data occur, the incident is required to be reported immediately to the designated Information Officer, whereafter an incident report form is required to be completed.
If required, the client will be contacted by the Information Officer to inform them of any breach that may have occurred and the effects thereof. Steps to rectify the situation will also be put in to place as soon as possible and any incident will be treated as a top priority by Umdloti Letting & Sales.
Designated Information Officer
Umdloti Letting & Sales has appointed Inessa Fella as the designated Information Officer responsible for all data protection and monitoring.
What choices do I have?
You have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you or to object to the processing of personal information held about you. You also have the right to ask us to update, correct or delete your personal information. To do this, contact our Information Officer and specify what information you would like and any changes to be made. We will take all reasonable steps to confirm your identity before providing details of your personal information, or before making changes to personal information we may hold about you.
Please note that we may amend this policy from time to time.
Notices and Revisions
Address: 4 Jabu Ngcobo drive, Umdloti, KwaZulu Natal, 4050
Tel: 031 568 1055
Information Officer’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Monitoring and review
This policy was last updated on the 24th of June 2021 and shall be regularly monitored and reviewed, at least every third year.